Wilmington Railroad Museum
The Extensive Renovation of ACL Steam Engine #250
The following pictures document the renovation of steam engine #250 being returned to something close to its original appearance.
#250 waiting at the depot in Kerr NC about mid-way between Wilmington and Fayetteville (circa 1950). This route was once part of the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Raiload until that line was sold and split up between the Atlantic Coast Line and Southern Railway companies. Only traces of this route now remain, and in places the right of way has been abandoned and sold to private interests.
After being retired from service in the 1950s, locomotive #250 was parked on display in Tampa FL for many years. In 1983 it was donated to the Museum, being transported by CSX and placed outside the Freight Office Building. Although successive paint jobs helped to maintain a good appearance, it was evident that deterioration was progressively damaging the soundness of its parts. Views above and below show the locomotive being inspected prior to restoration.
Inspection in preparation to restoration
Views above and below show work is under way, focusing primarily on he boiler shell and cab, which was transported off-site for rebuilding.
Part of the project called for removing asbestos material surrounding boiler tubes and other areas. For the special techniques involved, an enclosure was placed around the locomotive to keep material contained so that it could be properly captured and disposed of.
After reconstruction and re-painting, new access stairs were fabricated and installed at the end of the project. They are shown here being hoisted into place.
Engine #250 as she stood until 2007, when the Musuem moved to Warehouse B across the parking lot. This project was generously supported by the North Carolina Department of Transportation as an Enhancement Initiative.