Wilmington Railroad Museum
Check out these new items in the Gift Shop
WORLD RECORD DVD!!
See how the Museum's model railroaders prepared to break the world's record for longest model train - over 1500 cars and 31 locomotives (a train longer than the Titanic!). Features 26-minute documentary, trailer, and footage submitted to Guinness World Records. Only $15.00
CLASSIC TRAIN SET (The Scout Series)
A great mini-starter set for the young beginner, rated age 3+. Battery-operated locomotive pulls a car around a 6-foot circular track, more-or-less HO scale. Only $9.95 (from WOW Toys)
STEAM LOCOMOTIVES POP-UP BOOK
A clever, colorful, and three-dimensional introduction to early steam locomotives. Precision die-cut illustrations rise from the pages, which tell about the featured models, railroad history, and technology. Originally priced at $17.95, these are available for ONLY $8.95, while supply lasts. (by Keith Mosely, Orchard Books)
Whether you're looking for unique souvenirs of a visit, games or toys for youngsters, or railroad books or videos, the Gift Shop has distinctive items for your interests. Our extensive selection includes toys, games, jewelry, apparel, books for all ages, photography, vintage items, CDs and DVDs, and more. In addition, a professionally-built model provides visitors with an interactive glimpse of this fascinating pasttime.
You'll also find a great selection of model railroad goods in the Model Shop. Sets, supplies, and rolling stock are available in O, HO, and N scales, and items can be special-ordered. This is the only shop in Wilmington that caters to the casual or serious modeler and a good place to start or add on to your model railroad!
A number of our books are available by phone or mail order. If you wish to order any of these books shown or listed below please print the order form at the bottom of this page, fill it in with the books you wish to order and either mail it (to the address on the bottom of the form) with your check or credit card information, or use our phone order by calling 910-763-2634.
Books available by phone or mail
#101 - The Story of the Atlantic Coast Line (28pp, paper) - $8.00
This volume reprints a summary of the railroad's history as published in 1930, along with a condensed history through 1990 by Charles Kernan.
#102 - A History of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company ( 326pp, hardcover) - $10.00
Privately published by CSX Railroad in 1998, this book presents the thorough research of Glenn Hoffman in tracing the growth and development of the Atlantic Coast Line from its roots in the 1830s to its merger with Seaboard Air Line in the 1960s. Photographs and maps help illustrate the story, along with a "family tree" of how the various constituent short lines were combined to form the "The Standard Railroad of the South."
#103 - Rails to Weeds: Searching Out the Ghost Railroads in Wilmington (28pp, paper) - $15.00
In this 1985/1995 monograph, Charles Kernan explores and maps out the several old rail routes that once served Wilmington. With rare and unusual photographs, the traces of former activity are detailed, recalling the heyday of Wilmington as a railroad center.
#106 - Rails to Weeds - Volume 2: Drawings of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Buildings in Wilmington (64pp, paper) - $16.00
This 2006 sequel to Volume 1 presents floor plans and elevation drawings of many of the buildings that once anchored the activity in downtown Wilmington.
#104 - Any three of the above books for only $25.00
#105 - Select one or more from our extensive collection of pre-owned books. We have many hardcover volumes and hundreds of vintage periodicals in stock. Please email us at email@example.com to obtain a list of current holdings. On occasion we will update the list of available books; however, please call us if you wish to verify availability prior to ordering. Some of these are rare and out of print books and will not be available once sold.
- 20th Century Lucius Beebe (1962)
- Alexandria (VA) City Code 1940
- All Aboard: The Story of Joshua Lionel Cowan Ron Hollander (1981)
- American Heritage History of Railroads in America Oliver Jensen (1975) 2 copies
- American Locomotives 1900-1950 Edwin P Alexander (1950) 2 copies
- An American Journey by Rail Timothy Johnson (1988)
- By Rail to the Ends of the Earth Kenneth Westcott-Jones (1967)
- The Clipper Ships A B Whipple (1980)
- Encyclopedia of North American Railroads Aaron E Klein (1985)
- Focus: The Railroad in Transition Robert S Carper (1968)
- Great American Train Stations Hans Halberstadt (1997)
- High Speed Trains Jane Collins (1978) 2 copies
- Highball Lucius Beebe (1945)
- Highliners: A Railroad Album Lucius Beebe (1940) 2 copies
- The History of Trains: From the Orient Express to the Bullet Train Ferrari & Lazzati (1989)
- The History of the Baltimore & Ohio Timothy Jacobs (1989)
- Locomotives in Our Lives A Sheldon Pennoyer (1954)
- The Old Patagonian Express Paul Theroux (1979)
- Pictorial History of Trains David S Hamilton (1977) 2 copies
- Playing With Trains Sam Posey (2005)
- Railroading Coast to Coast: Riding the Locomotive Cabs 1923-1950 S Kip Farrington (1976)
- Railroads: The Great American Adventure Charlton Ogburn (1977)
- Rails West George B Abdill (1960)
- Railways C Hamilton Ellis (1974)
- The Rule of the Road at Sea Daniel Hayne (1912)
- Steel Rails to the Sunrise: The Long Island Rail Road Ron Ziel & George Foster (1965) paper
- Train Journeys of the World Susan Gordon (1993)
- Trains in Transition Lucius Beebe (1941)
- We Americans National Geographic Society (1975)
- The Worlds Rail Way T G Pangborn (1894) 1974 FACSIMILE EDITION
- Westward to Promontory Barry Combs (1969)
- Yonder Comes the Train Lance Phillips (1965) 2 copies
#106 - The Historical Presence of African-Americans in the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (35pp, paper) - $6.75
Privately published in 1998, this memoir by Gwendolyn Cottman summarizes the work done by African-Americans in various railroad trades and occupations.
New Works: We carry many other titles for all ages, including Thomas storybooks, special interest railraod books, vintage periodicals, and recorded items. If you would like to purchase, please call (910) 763-2634 for information.
- America's Railroads: 7-tape series (Marathon, 1995)
- Running A Steam Locomotive Vol. 1 (RVP, 1978)
- Model Railroad Scenery (Kalmbach, 1999)
- Great Moments With National Geographic (1991)