Wilmington Railroad Museum
Check out these popular items
in the Gift Shop
CLASSIC TRAIN SET (The Scout Series)
A great mini-starter set for the young beginner, rated age 3+. Battery-operated locomotive pulls a car around a 6-foot circular track, more-or-less HO scale. Only $9.95 (from WOW Toys)
STEAM LOCOMOTIVES POP-UP BOOK
A clever, colorful, and three-dimensional introduction to early steam locomotives. Precision die-cut illustrations rise from the pages, which tell about the featured models, railroad history, and technology. Originally priced at $17.95, these are available for ONLY $8.95, while supply lasts. (by Keith Mosely, Orchard Books)
Whether you're looking for unique souvenirs of a visit, games or toys for youngsters, or railroad books or videos, the Gift Shop has distinctive items for your interests. Our extensive selection includes toys, games, jewelry, apparel, books for all ages, photography, vintage items, CDs and DVDs, and more. In addition, a professionally-built model provides visitors with an interactive glimpse of this fascinating pasttime.
You'll also find a great selection of model railroad goods in the Model Shop. Sets, supplies, and rolling stock are available in O, HO, and N scales, and items can be special-ordered. This is the only shop in Wilmington that caters to the casual or serious modeler and a good place to start or add on to your model railroad!
A number of our books are available by phone or mail order. If you wish to order any of these books shown or listed below please print the order form at the bottom of this page, fill it in with the books you wish to order and either mail it (to the address on the bottom of the form) with your check or credit card information, or use our phone order by calling 910-763-2634.
Books available by phone or mail
#101 - The Story of the Atlantic Coast Line (28pp, paper) - $8.00
This volume reprints a summary of the railroad's history as published in 1930, along with a condensed history through 1990 by Charles Kernan.
#102 - A History of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company ( 326pp, hardcover) - $10.00
Privately published by CSX Railroad in 1998, this book presents the thorough research of Glenn Hoffman in tracing the growth and development of the Atlantic Coast Line from its roots in the 1830s to its merger with Seaboard Air Line in the 1960s. Photographs and maps help illustrate the story, along with a "family tree" of how the various constituent short lines were combined to form the "The Standard Railroad of the South."
#103 - Rails to Weeds: Searching Out the Ghost Railroads in Wilmington (28pp, paper) - $15.00
In this 1985/1995 monograph, Charles Kernan explores and maps out the several old rail routes that once served Wilmington. With rare and unusual photographs, the traces of former activity are detailed, recalling the heyday of Wilmington as a railroad center.
#106 - Rails to Weeds - Volume 2: Drawings of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Buildings in Wilmington (64pp, paper) - $16.00
This 2006 sequel to Volume 1 presents floor plans and elevation drawings of many of the buildings that once anchored the activity in downtown Wilmington.
#104 - Any three of the above books for only $25.00
#105 - Select one or more from our extensive collection of pre-owned books. We have many hardcover volumes and hundreds of vintage periodicals in stock. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a list of current holdings. On occasion we will update the list of available books; however, please call us if you wish to verify availability prior to ordering. Some of these are rare and out of print books and will not be available once sold.
Used Book List
- A History of the Great Trains Chris Cook (1977)
- Complete Book of Model Railroading David Sutton (1964)
- Crescent Color Guide to Trains Brian Haresnape (1981)
- Design Handbook of Model Railroads Paul Mallery (1979)
- Easy Model Railroad Wiring Andy Sperandero (1999)
- Encyclopedia of Trains & Locomotives C J Riley (1995)
- Hear the Train Blow - Lucius Beebe (1952)
- High Speed Trains Jane Collins (1978)
- Highball Lucius Beebe (1945) 4 copies
- Highliners: A Railroad Album Lucius Beebe (1940) 3 copies
- History of the Baltimore & Ohio Timothy Jacobs (1989) PRISTINE
- History of the New York Central System Aaron E Klein (1985) PRISTINE
- History of the Pennsylvania Railroad Timothy Jacobs (1988) PRISTINE
- History of the Baltimore & Ohio Timothy Jacobs (1989) PRISTINE Box set
- History of the New York Central System Aaron E Klein (1985) PRISTINE Box set
- History of the Pennsylvania Railroad Timothy Jacobs (1988) PRISTINE Box set
- HO King-Size Plan Book (1994)
- HO Railroad that Grows Linn H Westcott (1972)
- Metropolitan Corridor John R Stilgoe (1983)
- Model Railroading Handbook - Robert Schleicher (1975)
- Old Patagonian Express Paul Theroux (1979)
- Pictorial History of Trains David S Hamilton (1977)
- Playing With Trains Sam Posey (2004)
- Practical Guide to HO Model Railroading (1994)
- Railroading Coast to Coast: Riding the Locomotive Cabs 1923-1950 S Kip Farrington (1976)
- Road to Paradise William Moedinger (1971) 2 copies
- Seven Step-by-Step HO Railroads (1994)
- Steam Steel & Stars: Photographs by O. Winston Link Tim Hensley (1987)
- The Railroaders - Stuart Leuthner
- Victorian Railroad Station - Edmund V Gillon (1994)
- Wiring Your HO Layout Paul Mallery (1958)
- World Atlas of Railways O S Nock (1978)
- Wolrd Steam Train Album - John Westwood (1993)
- Worlds Rail Way T G Pangborn (1894) 1974 FACSIMILE EDITION 2
- Yonder Comes the Train Lance Phillips (1965) 2 copies
- Greatest Train Rides: Scotland/Wales (1:01, 1995)
- Greatest Train Rides : Switzerland (1:00, 1995)
- Today's Chicago Railroads )2:00, 1991)
#106 - The Historical Presence of African-Americans in the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (35pp, paper) - $6.75
Privately published in 1998, this memoir by Gwendolyn Cottman summarizes the work done by African-Americans in various railroad trades and occupations.
New Works: We carry many other titles for all ages, including Thomas storybooks, special interest railraod books, vintage periodicals, and recorded items. If you would like to purchase, please call (910) 763-2634 for information.